Translate

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Let's Take a Second





Modern Vampires of the City. Rolling Stone included it in their mid-year report of the Best Albums of 2013 and I felt impelled to include it in my list of blog posts seeing as it has given me the sunshine Toronto has failed to provide this summer.

I cannot get enough of Everlasting Arms and Fingerback. Here, if you haven't heard it yet listen to it here:


To be quite honest, this was my introductory album to Vampire Weekend. Not being familiar with previous works, except for a few songs like Horchata and Oxford Comma, this was a fantastic way to introduce my ears to this band. 

The vocals are quirky and playful and this is an album you can blast on a sunny day, or a rainy one (as I had during this dreadfully grey Toronto summer) to brighten up your mood. The lyrics are smart and worth a solid critical review. The instrumental accompaniment is some sort of reminiscent of the Arkells in terms of the bounce, but it's simply, more. It's layered by classical piano solos and choruses sung by choirs. 

Read what Rolling Stone had to say: 

No comments:

Post a Comment